Introduction: Read Fundamental Belief # 22 (Christian Behavior)
God’s Ideal For Man
- To reverence God, depart from evil and have perfect peace (Prov 3:8-9, Isa 26:3)
- To work and care for His creation (Gen 2:15)
- To prosper and be in (good) health (3 John 1:2)
- To help others and lift up those who were (Deut 24:19-21, Psalm 82:3, Romans 12:20-21)
What is Health?
Merriam-Webster – 1a: the condition of being sound in body, mind, or spirit especially : freedom from physical disease or pain. b : the general condition of the body. 2a : a condition in which someone or something is thriving or doing well. b: general condition or state.
The WHO – Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. (1948 definition)
The WHO then made clarifications on its definition of Health at its First International Conference on Health Promotion, Ottawa, 21 November 1986. It says: Health is, therefore, seen as a resource for everyday life, not the objective of living. Health is a positive concept emphasizing social and personal resources, as well as physical capacities.
The Holy Bible (Definition of Health)
- In the Old Testament: Shalom (Strong H7965) meaning ‘safe, (figuratively) well, happy, health, prosperity and peace.’
- There is also Yeshuah (Strong H3444)- deliverance, health, salvation, welfare.
- Riphuth (Strong H7500)- cure or health
- Marpe (Strong H4832)- a medicine or a cure, a remedy.
- Arukah (Strong H724)- wholeness, health, perfected.
- In the New Testament: Hugiaino (Strong G5198) meaning ‘to have sound health, that is be well, be in health, be whole.’
- Soteria (Strong G4991)- Rescue, safety, health, salvation.
The other is Soteria (Strong G4991)- Rescue, safety, health, salvation.
What is Wellness?
Merriam Webster – the quality or state of being in good health especially as an actively sought goal. (link)
The National Wellness Institute – Wellness is a conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential. Wellness is multidimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental and spiritual well-being, and the environment. Wellness is positive and affirming. (link)
The Six Dimensions Of Health
There are different models of the health/wellness wheel, but for this presentation, we will look at the 6 dimensions one:
Each health dimension was presented in detail using Biblical and scientific data for support.
To request the full presentation’s transcript (12-pages long), please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org